Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Okay, so I have another one for your recipe books! I just made the best meatballs EVER. So yummy!





1 package of Ground turkey (or ground beef...I was going semi healthy this time)
1 can of tomato sauce (any brand)
1/2 onion --- 1/4 for the meatballs, 1/4 for the sauce (this depends on your preference, I love onions)
1 egg
Bread crumbs
Parmesan
Basil
Oregano
Garlic
Salt & Pepper


1. Finely chop up onion. Put into saute pan with garlic and saute until translucent. Don't brown them! You just want them to be soft.
2. Take the package of ground turkey and place on the cutting board. Crack the egg into the center, pour about 1/2 cup of bread crumbs over the top (this is a binder, so if they are too loose when you start to form them add more bread crumbs), as well as the parmesan and add in spices to taste (basil, oregano, salt and pepper).
3. With your hands, knead in all the ingredients until it's spread evenly throughout the meat. Don't over handle the meat.
4. Take half of the sauted onions and fold them in until evenly distributed.
5. Pour other half of the onions into another pot and set aside.
6. Create meatballs from the meat, make sure that whatever size you choose to make them, they are all the same size so that they cook evenly. I made five large meatballs, yes, they turned out to be around the size of a small baseball. :)
7. In the pan you sauted the onions in, place the formed meatballs in with a splash of olive oil so they don't stick and let them brown on the outside. Don't cook them all the way through, but let them seal in the juices and get a nice brown crust on the outside.
8. Now, take the pot you put the other half of the onions in, and pour the tomato sauce in. Bring to a boil.
9. Once it's boiling, put your meatballs in (make sure the sauce is deep enough to cover them, or at least only show a small bit on the top) and reduce heat to LOW/SIMMER. Cover with a lid.
10. Let cook for 10 to 15 mins. I'm not exact on the timing because I forgot to check, but after 15 mins, pull one out and cut into it and make sure all the pink is gone. I also waited until the meatballs were done until I cooked my spaghetti. I just put the meatballs on LOW so they stayed warm/continued to cook.

Plate them and ENJOY!! I sprinkled some more parmesan on top and it was amazing! I also used fettucini noodles instead of regular spaghetti noodles because I like the flat noodles the best but it's up to you!


(Image isn't my own, click on it for link to original)

No comments:

Post a Comment