Monday, May 17, 2010

Do what you love...love what you do.

So today in my Children's Lit class, the teacher was rambling on as usual (he likes to talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Child's Lit) and he started talking about his oldest son. He said that when his son was younger, my teacher knew that he was supposed to pursue being a professional musician. He didn't have a choice because he was just that good and because his overall happiness in life would diminish if he did anything else. His father was right, the son tried to pursue a business degree and after two years decided that it wasn't for him and went on to do absolutely great things with music and that is where he is today.

But what struck me about the story was that my teacher said that you shouldn't do something you don't absolutely love because your soul will be damaged. You need to find something that you enjoy doing. It made me think because I have always thought about this. My family has told me this countless times that I need to find something I love and regardless of everything, do it and just go for it because i'll be happy. I know that what I am doing right now is not making me happy. (Well, what I'm studying isn't. School doesn't always make me happy, but I know that its needed regardless and after I'm done, I'll still have plenty of time to pursue whatever I want.)

Business does not float my boat. Its practical, yes, but I have no desire to pursue it after college which leaves me wondering what do I want to do after I graduate? It comes back to what my teacher said, find something that satisfies your soul. For me, that could be many things and there are a lot of ideas that have gone through my mind at one point or another. Things such as; relationship counselor, school teacher, something to do with wolves, writer, photographer, children's book illustrator/writer...to name a few. These things would probably not make me a lot of money but they would make me very happy.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting and made me think about my future. Scary but exciting and while life isn't always easy, its time where you don't know what you're doing that sometimes are the best of times because they allow you to open doors you may not have thought about before.

And, I've decided to do a picture of the day kinda thing. Today the picture is dedicated the weather outside. It's just the way I like it, cloudy and rainy :)

1 comment:

  1. The way i see it, this world is always operating on the idea of "balance". Don't go out looking for a job that you only enjoy, because if the pay is too terrible then you probably won't live a very comfortable life, and therefore you won't be happy. But if you only seek money and your job sucks, then the result is obvious. I think the best strategy is to find a job that you really enjoy with nice benefits. I know it's easy to say, and i don't profess to have all the answers, but this is something that i thought about a lot.

    ReplyDelete